Sunday, September 15, 2019

HyperDocs Reflection


Up until now, I had no idea what HyperDocs was. I am not sure if I have even heard of it, to be honest. I found both interviews to be very informational about HyperDocs. I liked learning about it in more of an informal way, so to say, as opposed to having to read stuffy, boring information on it.

During Sean Fahey's interview, one of his main points that stuck with me about the benefits of using HyperDocs in the classroom was that it can actually allow the teacher to work one-on-one with students who are struggling or who may need some extra help. So this means that while other students are independently working in a HyperDoc, teachers can use this opportunity to give those who need it some extra help. So not only can HyperDocs be another way to teach kids and another means to deliver content, but it can almost even act as another teacher to allow us to find that time to work with struggling students. I like that. I know it can be tough for teachers to be able to get enough one-on-one time in with students who really need it. Mr. Fahey also mentioned that HyperDocs allow students to be in control of their own learning. I feel this is very powerful, for students to feel that they are in control of aspects of their learning. 
Lastly on his interview, he had mentioned the 'oneword' hashtag. I was able to make a connection with this, as the school I worked in last year actually used this with all of the staff starting on the first day of school, and it continuously came up during our staff meetings and staff development activities. So not only does this work with students, but it was also useful with the adult staff!

There were a couple of points during Lisa Highfill's interview that stuck with me and that I will consider implementing when I have my own classroom. She mentions that students have the opportunity to explore a lesson in HyperDocs first, and then the teacher can verbally explain it and get into the lesson. I do like this. This gives students the chance to get a little sneak peak into a lesson before it is officially taught. They can form their own questions and wonderings ahead of time. I feel this can create a really meaningful learning experience, as not only is the teacher going in with some prior knowledge on the subject, but the students can as well. She mentions how using technology versus physical teaching can be blended. Technology teaching was not meant to take over teaching. She gave a good ratio of one tech lesson per subject a week. I feel that is a pretty good amount. The main thing I got out of her interview about HyperDocs is that is can be extremely useful to use it for really important lessons that you may really want to "stick". This makes so much sense. For really important lessons, not only can the teacher teach them, but they can also use HyperDocs to really reinforce the content and points of the lessons that really need it.

I am relieved to know that technology does not have to necessarily take over the classroom. It can be used as an additional tool to help us deliver content in another way. Not only can it help us teach important lessons, it can also help free us up so we can meaningfully work one-on-one with students who need the extra help!

Link to my initial HyperDocs leesson plan. (2nd grade Science lesson on the water cycle).

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WNCkV8yra-fasN6YX0KwKXtv0fjSyqtUkorw5VLYQ_Q/edit?usp=sharing


1 comment:

  1. Hyperdocs can provide independent tasks for some learners while the teacher works with individual or small groups of learners. Student agency is another valuable aspect to the use of Hyperdocs. Building background for students using the Hyperdoc is a great way to scaffold the lesson or even the unit of study. I had a teacher that used to call it "priming the pump".
    Tech use is a balance and the students needs should drive the level of use.

    ReplyDelete