Sunday, October 20, 2019

2nd Formative Assessment Tool

2nd Formative Assessment Tool- Google Forms

Last week for my formative assessment tool, I created within Quizizz. Since it was pretty straight forward and I ended on it feeling satisfied, I decided to try out another tool for this week's formative assessment: Google Forms. I have participated in Google forms before as a means for surveys and exit tickets, but never in the quiz arena. It was super straight forward. I almost felt guilty as to how easy and straight forward it was! I stuck with my theme of the water cycle, and even used the same questions I used for my Quizizz. I would use this as a pre and post assessment. I would have students complete it at the beginning of class to guide me to determine what direction to take my instruction in, based on the responses. I would have them take the same exact quiz again at the end of the lesson to assess their understanding and effectiveness of the lesson.

I again stuck with 10 questions. Initially while I was creating the questions, I was assigning point values and different points based on how easy/hard a question was. However, I decided that for the purpose of this being a pre/post assessment, that it was not necessary to have a point system, since this will be more for me to gauge their understanding and not give them a grade on it. For this same reason, I chose to not have a grade shown, nor have wrong/correct answers shown after a student submits the quiz. I do not want students to be fixated on a grade since this is a formative assessment for me and my instruction. 

Adding images was quite easy. However, there was one question where I wanted to add two photos, but it would only allow me to add one. I peaked in the theme options and slightly changed the theme colors. I did not want to go too crazy with colors or fonts since this is to be used as a very simple formative assessment. It certainly is not as "frilly" as my quiz in quizizz, and that is quite alright. There is a time and place for "frilly" quizzes, and this is not one! I would use this more basic format of Google forms as a pre/post quiz within the same lesson, then I would perhaps use the more exciting version of this same quiz from quizizz the following day at the start of the lesson for a little fun boost at the start of the lesson! 

The summary of responses tells me exactly what I need for this purpose. I can see a quick snapshot right at the top of frequently missed questions, and I can use this information to guide my lesson!

1 comment:

  1. I am not sure I am familiar with the term 'frilly quiz' :) but I think I am following your meaning. I also follow your thinking on scoring and grading. Having two tools to choose from depending on your purpose is a strengthening your ability to meet your students needs and provide variety.
    Google Forms does allow you to get instant results that will let you know where students are in their learning and help inform your instructional approach.

    ReplyDelete